When we talk about dental or oral hygiene most people think of brushing the teeth before going to bed. Although this is one of the most important and most frequent ways of oral hygiene maintenance, it alone is not enough for a long-term healthy and bright smile. Dental or oral hygiene includes different preventive measures, which help us maintain the natural beauty of teeth, their health and functionality.
Good dental hygiene includes regular dental check-up at least once a year to remove the tartar and plaque.
It's very important that the habit of regular oral hygiene maintenance is acquired early on and that it becomes a part of child’s growing up process, this way it can become a part of his life. How to take care of your child’s teeth can be read in our text about paedodontics. When we talk about adult dental hygiene, then, beside everyday teeth brushing before going to bed and after waking up, it's also preferable to use dental floss and mouth wash regularly. In order for your teeth to stay healthy it's also necessary to visit ypur dentist every 6 months, so he can remove tartar and plaque.
Each mentioned preventive method has its reasons:
- Brushing your teeth in the morning and in the evening, and preferably after each meal - Saliva in the mouth sticks residues of food to the teeth where bacteria develop during the day and night and create acids. Those acids erode the hard dental tissues like enamel and dentin leading to their demineralization (decomposition). It finally results in development of some dental diseases like caries and periodontitis.
- Using dental floss (silk) - Using dental floss removes residues of food collecting in the gaps between teeth, which are not accessible with toothbrush. Dental floss is very important in prevention since caries mostly developes in the gaps between teeth.
- Using mouthwash - Mouthwash is responsible for removing all bacteria from the teeth, tongue and other oral cavity areas not removed by brushing.
- Removal of tartar and plaque - Tartar and plaque form on teeth surface despite regular oral hygiene maintenance. These are layers of saliva and food residues. They are a breeding ground for the development of bacteria and periodontal diseases. In order to prevent buildup of tartar and plaque, it is necessary to remove it at least twice a year.
- Dental guard during sleeping - Persons who grind or clench their teeth very often have intensive enamel wearing. Enamel will be very thin in those places and exposed to bacteria and acids. Patients with this problem can ask their dentist to fabricate a tailored dental guard to help them protect their teeth form the risk. Professionally made dental guard won't interfere with your sleep, but will help in preserving your teeth healty.
Dental hygiene must be regular and thorough, because when you lose your natural tooth it won't grow again. No dental restoration that modern dentistry can offer will ever have the quality of the natural tooth.